Bushfire Update from Roza Sage MP
Friday 25 October 2013 Dear Neville,
This past week has seen our community suffer terribly, with the loss of over 200 homes and dozens more damaged.
Many more homes and lives were saved thanks to the amazing work of our emergency service personnel, led by members of the Rural Fire Service.
During the past week, I have spent much of my time with residents at the evacuation centre in Springwood, thanking fire fighters through out the Blue Mountains, helping to co-ordinate the NSW Government’s response and supporting members of our community who have lost their homes, cars and in some cases much loved pets.
It is difficult to hear how these horrific fires have impacted on so many families.
By working together we will rebuild our community and help those who require urgent assistance, while we continue to manage the current bush fire risk.
To help support our community during this crisis, the NSW Government has introduced a number of measures. These include:
- Establishing a Recovery Co-ordination Centre at Springwood to ensure NSW and Federal Government assistance is delivered quickly to those in need;
- Establishing a Committee to co-ordinate the recovery and rebuilding efforts;
- Waiving waste levy charges for those people who live in areas impacted by the fires;
- Waiving charges for water used to defend property in bushfire affected areas;
- Cracking down on those individuals and companies who seek to take financial advantage of our community in this time of need and
- Replacing essential Government documents, such as drivers licences, vehicle registration papers, birth certificates, marriage certificates and change of name certificates free-of-charge if they were destroyed in the fires.
People requiring further assistance from the NSW and Federal Governments, are encouraged to call:
- NSW Government’s Disaster Relief Scheme: 1800 018 444
- Australian Government Disaster Assistance Number: 180 22 66
If you wish to help your fellow residents, the Salvation Army have established the October 2013 Bush Fire Appeal. Donations can be made by
calling 13 72 58 or go online at www.salvos.org.au
Finally, I would remind everyone to monitor the Rural Fire Service website www.rfs.nsw.gov.au and social media pages for updates about the fires. Information is also available by calling 1800 679 737.
For further information or assistance, please visit my website www.rozasage.com.au or call my office on (02) 4751 3298.
Member for Blue Mountains